Rich media ads are advanced advertisements that include multimedia features like audio, video, animation, and various other traditional elements like images and texts. A rich media ad offers different ways to interact with and engage the customers in the ads.
The unique style of rich media ads can adjust according to the visitor’s device, for instance, widen when the user clicks on it, change the position of the ads on the page. These ads are a great way to improve brand awareness and generate new clicks.
If you have visited a website and have come across an ad on the corner side that enlarges as you hover, then you must have encountered a rich media ad. In simple words, rich media technology takes your advertisements from being a one-way communication and transforms them into a walkie-talkie, letting your customer participate.
Benefits of Rich Media Ad Formats for Advertisers
There are very few drawbacks of rich media advertising. There are several benefits to investing in this thrilling evolution of online marketing. Rich media ads can substantially strengthen both programmatic and direct ad campaigns. Some of the major benefits of rich media ad formats include:
- Rich Media Ads deliver improved CTR- These ads have been proven to provide a high CTR. They can surpass standard banner ads by an enormous 267%.
- Collaborative ad formats offer a great user experience- The reason why rich media ads have such a good ROI is they offer a great user experience, making the users pay more attention to them.
- Rich media ads help in managing the purchase intent- Rich media ads are more successful compared to other ad formats like GIF in driving the purchase intent. On average, rich media ad formats that include a video showed an increase of 1.16% in the purchase intent.
- You can extract more data from rich media ads- Rich media ad formats allow more insights and metrics. Advertisers can scale and adjust the campaigns with knowledge of what works for their campaigns to attain better long-term results. Some of the metrics you can measure using rich media ads are pre-interaction enticements, impressions, views, display time, full-screen video completions, and much more.
Benefits of Rich Media Ad Formats for Publishers
Not only do advertisers enjoy benefits from rich media ad formats, but publishers too enjoy them. Several aspects of rich media ads beneficial to advertisers are also beneficial for the publishers.
- Rich media ads do not affect the browsing experience- Unlike static ads that take publishers’ website audiences off to advertisers’ landing pages, rich media ad formats do not disrupt the users’ browsing experience. Customers are not forced to leave the site of publishers, so their initial purpose is maintained.
- Rich Media is measurable- The interactivity of rich media ad formats allows the publishers to keep a record of more metrics. This provides more data to return to the advertisers to reveal to them the value of advertising on your website. The more metrics you have the happier will be your advertisers as they start finding greater ROI on their ad spend, not just through the goal of purchases but via video views, brand favorability, and interaction.
- Enabling Rich Media, you are on a similar page with advertisers-Presenting rich media ad formats to advertisers shows that you are a marketing savvy publisher you need to be in the fast-evolving online world. These ads are a great medium for publishers to increase their ad income, as they create more revenue compared to static ads are growing popular.
- Rich media is expensive, so you increase your revenue- The CPM (cost per 1000 impressions) is usually higher on the rich media ads than the banner ads. This gives the publishers the chance to increase their revenue.
Popular Rich Media Ad Formats
- Rich Media Interstitial Ad– This is a multifaceted rich media format. It supports video ads, banner ads, and other HTML- based ad units. The custom size of the interstitial ad can be set. It is a full-page ad that is loaded before the page’s content is displayed. Usually, they are used on applications and mobile devices.
- Highly engaging
- Less disturbing
- Rich Media Banner Ad– Banner ads are the most popular ad format. They are placed on top of the fold on a web page and likely to be seen by the audiences. This ad format delivers a highly interactive user experience. These ads include attractive and interactive elements.
- High click-through rate
- Enough space for text
- Expandable Ad- Users can create expandable ads to grow in size. This can be done with the help of a click or by tapping a tablet or mobile device. They then retract once the ad is played.
- High click-through rate
- Pushdown Ads- These are similar to expandable ads. They do expand in dimension but push the content down on the page which the user is viewing. This ad format supports varieties of engaging creatives which do not cover the content, which in turn attracts more views compared to the overlaying ad units.
- Improved viewability
- Impressive appearance
- High conversion
- Rich media Slider Ads– These ads often use creatives based on img, .swfs, and 3rd party codes. These are exhibited at the bottom part of the user’s screen, sticking to the page as the user starts scrolling.
- Inventory saving
- Improved click-through rates
Unique Features of Rich Media Ad Units
- Rich media ads focus on dynamic or audiovisual elements unlike basic display ads, which are all about the static images
- Rich media ads are interactive and need some user actions for the video or to be played. This leads to an improved user experience
- Rich media ad units can include gaming elements, which makes them the most preferred format to use instead of the in-app video ads
- Rich media ads can be calculated with a wide range of metrics and collect more important data because of more available communications.